AT&T Officially Announces LTE in 5 Markets this Summer and More by End of Year

This is a discussion on AT&T Officially Announces LTE in 5 Markets this Summer and More by End of Year within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; AT&T just announced the beginning stages of their LTE rollout in an official press release. Initially their LTE network will come to 5 markets this ...

Thread: AT&T Officially Announces LTE in 5 Markets this Summer and More by End of Year

dgstorm

AT&T Officially Announces LTE in 5 Markets this Summer and More by End of Year

AT&T just announced the beginning stages of their LTE rollout in an official press release. Initially their LTE network will come to 5 markets this summer, with more to follow before the end of the year. Here's the full press release,
    AT&Ts 4G Evolution

Dallas, Texas, May 25, 2011

By John Donovan, AT&T Chief Technology Officer

AT&T has delivered five mobile broadband speed upgrades in recent years, including our HSPA+ deployment last year. And average nationwide speeds on the AT&T network have increased more than 40 percent over the past two years alone.

The next network evolution will arrive this summer with the addition of LTE in five markets Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta and San Antonio. We plan to add another 10 or more markets in the second half of the year, and cover 70 million Americans with LTE by year-end. We also have plans to add 20 4G devices to our robust device portfolio this year, with some of those being LTE capable.

Were positioning to deliver a great mobile broadband experience in the near term with HSPA+ and a growing LTE footprint.

Weve invested $75 billion in our wireless and wired networks over the last four years more capital invested in the U.S. than any company in any industry. And we plan to invest $19 billion in our wireless and wireline networks and other capital projects this year. The investments weve made to evolve our mobile broadband network in recent years, plus what we have planned for the future, put our customers in position to benefit fully from a host of coming mobile broadband innovations.
    Source: AT&T Official Press Release - LTE Rollout this Summer with More to Follow This Year

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    I wonder if I should even care considering how early and immature the release is. I'm assuming these are test cities since they are high populated cities. They skipped right over my city so I guess it doesn't matter anyways. I was looking forward wanting to check out the LG Thrill, but I guess I won't buy if it's not LTE upgradable.

WERA689
    Man, I'm still waiting for them to turn on the HSPA+ that the Atrix is capable of! I know the backhaul is in place already in Atlanta, but it's not on yet! Releasing LTE seems very premature to me.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    Lmao I said immature and I meant premature although with ATT it should be immature

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Man, I'm still waiting for them to turn on the HSPA+ that the Atrix is capable of! I know the backhaul is in place already in Atlanta, but it's not on yet! Releasing LTE seems very premature to me.
    HSPA+ is there. Promise.

While you're in Atlanta, you're not seeing the H+ symbol in your status bar?

Only thing is, we're not really deploying major backhaul upgrades to HSPA+ sites, for anything over 14.4Mbps. Our LTE sites are getting those major upgrades.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

WERA689
    Yeah, Dorian, I see the H+ symbol, but that's the only one the Atrix has, besides E. But my speeds are nowhere near what they should be, even when I have great signal. Plus, the local ATT store keeps saying it won't be on till fall... I do realize that you're in a pretty good position to be correct about this though.

I've brought this up before and it seems that most people ignore it..... but speed tests use a TON of bandwidth and data. Especially at 10+ Mbps....

I often wonder what percentage of the system these use and how much better the network would be if we all cut back on them.

Just a thought.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links