AT&T Confirms Gingerbread for their Entire Android 2011 Lineup

This is a discussion on AT&T Confirms Gingerbread for their Entire Android 2011 Lineup within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; AT&T just announced yesterday that they intend to eventually upgrade all of their 2011 Android smartphones to Android 2.3/Gingerbread. They gave a list of the ...

Thread: AT&T Confirms Gingerbread for their Entire Android 2011 Lineup

dgstorm

AT&T Confirms Gingerbread for their Entire Android 2011 Lineup

AT&T just announced yesterday that they intend to eventually upgrade all of their 2011 Android smartphones to Android 2.3/Gingerbread. They gave a list of the phones that will get Gingerbread in their press release. Although the LG Thrill 4G was conspicuously absent from the list, it is likely that it will receive Android 2.3 either shortly before or shortly after its launch. Here is the official press release below:
    AT&T Customers to Enjoy Gingerbread

Android 2.3 Debuted in the AT&T Portfolio with HTC Status, All Post-paid Android Smartphones Released in 2011 Planned to Receive 2.3 Upgrade

DALLAS, July 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ –

Key Facts

AT&T* confirmed that upgrades to the Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread) platform are planned for all post-paid Android smartphones already introduced this year.
    Motorola ATRIX™ 4G users will receive an update to Android 2.3 beginning today and HTC Inspire™ 4G users will receive the update in the coming weeks.
    Motorola ATRIX 4G update will also provide the ability to download applications from third-party stores.
    HTC Status™ arrived in stores July 17, the first AT&T smartphone running Android 2.3.

Upgrade Details

Customers who purchased an Android smartphone from AT&T introduced in 2011 can expect to receive an update to Android 2.3. All of these devices are planned to be upgraded from Android 2.2 to Android 2.3, also referred to as Gingerbread. In addition, Samsung Captivate™ owners will be able to upgrade to Gingerbread.

Delivery methods will vary by device. Whenever possible, upgrades are delivered over-the-air (OTA), however in some cases the size of the file needed to install the update will require the user to connect via Wi-Fi or connect the phone to a PC to install the update. Factors such as manufacturer-defined software and other device performance improvements result in each device requiring a separate update which will vary in timing.

Beginning today and continuing over the next few weeks, Motorola ATRIX 4G users will be prompted to install the update. To download the update, users must be connected via Wi-Fi. In August, HTC Inspire 4G users will be notified that the update is available and can be downloaded when connected to a Wi-Fi network. AT&T smartphone users can access at any one of the company’s more than 26,000 Wi-Fi hotspots at no cost.

The AT&T smartphones planned for a Gingerbread update are:

HTC Inspire™ 4G
    LG Phoenix™
    Motorola ATRIX™ 4G
    Pantech Crossover™
    Samsung Captivate™ 4G
    Samsung Infuse™ 4G

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Gingerbread delivers a number of improvements, such as user interface refinements, refined copy/paste functionality and speed enhancements. The upgrade offers improved power management that offers a more active role in managing applications in addition to an improved on-screen keyboard with multi-touch support that makes typing faster and more accurate.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    AT&T is slowly rebuilding my faith in their support for Android Products.

Not me, I remember the Froyo fiasco for Captivate. Planned to be released in 2011 means 2013 at the absolute earliest.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Yeah, nevermind the fact that none of the other carriers released the upgrade any sooner. I believe T-Mo was first beating ATT by a month or so, with Verizon coming even later with their upgrade. Yeah, that had to be ATT's fault.

Honestly though, the fault is yours. You should never buy a phone or any other product on the hope that it will be upgraded to something better later down the line. If you don't find the product to be satisfactory now, either get something else or wait until the upgrade or whatever comes and then buy it.

This whole smartphones getting major software upgrades is still fairly new and so the wrinkles are still being ironed out. Hopefully the experience improves as time goes on, and it looks like it is.

TL;DR version... blame ATT for things they're actually responsible for, not things they really aren't.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    Coming from a nexus one I don't believe in that. Even nokia updated their phones. The problems exist between the mfr getting the update for the carries to approve. TMo was ready to push updates for the galaxy but samsung purposely withheld because they wanted to push their other phone first. now people who complain should be grateful we don't have to pay for upgrades so I don't entirely disagree with you. They are not obligated to update.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Coming from a nexus one I don't believe in that. Even nokia updated their phones. The problems exist between the mfr getting the update for the carries to approve. TMo was ready to push updates for the galaxy but samsung purposely withheld because they wanted to push their other phone first. now people who complain should be grateful we don't have to pay for upgrades so I don't entirely disagree with you. They are not obligated to update.
    I know that phones have received updates in the past, I just meant that the new trend with smartphones to receive major software upgrades has really only been going on somewhat recently (from a historical perspective), and you are very correct that we should all be grateful that we aren't having to pay to receive them.

Still I have to say that you should be happy with the phone in the state it is in when you purchase it and can't buy it on the promise that it'll get some upgrade down the road. Just consider the upgrade a bonus if/whenever it arrives. You'll be much happier in life.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

WERA689
    Words to live by, jmgib!

any updates on the release of Gingerbread for Infuse

I have been reading through here and i see notes for other phones as to when ATT will start updateing, but i didn't see anything for the Infuse.
    Can anyone tellme IF the upgrades have begun and WHEN the Infuse will get the update?

So if you haven't received a notification via your phone that your Captivate can be updated, it can't? I received one on one of my Captivates but not on the other. I upgraded to Gingerbread with ease on the one, but have worked for two days on the other, which windows 7 will not recognize my phone as a USB device. I've tried about 25 different things that I've found in Samsung forums and elsewhere and none of them work. Is this just a defective phone?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links