ATT Edge Just Works?

This is a discussion on ATT Edge Just Works? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I called AT&T to be on the safe side and they said the normal unlimited data plan that I already had for my Epix would ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ATT Edge Just Works?

NXS
    I called AT&T to be on the safe side and they said the normal unlimited data plan that I already had for my Epix would be just fine if I selected a phone outside of their "supported world" :-)
    Happy Nexus One User Since Jan 6, 2010.
    On Amazon: Nexus One Chargers, Sync Cables, Headphones, and Cases.

Technically, this is an AT&T unsupported phone, so that means you are free to use the $15 data package or $30 for unlimited data/text.

Put my AT&T sim in the n1, everything works. No 3G, no visual voicemail. MMS works just fine. I like being able to use a new phone without changing my contract! I have the iphone unlimited data/450 voice plan. on AT&T edge network i get 195.10 kbps in VA. Washington DC area.

How are these EDGE speeds? Can you download an app for example in a fairly reasonable time? I am dangerously close to pulling the trigger, and just relying mostly on wifi at home and at the office

Most of the time I am on the wifi as well. That's what's great having wifi in the n1 too. I use edge while at work because of the security that is on our wifi. The speeds are really not that bad. It's not going to be as fast of a download as your used to with 3G, but if you are looking for a very fast phone (as far as internals) I would suggest getting one. It's a nice change vs having the iPhone like everyone else.

As with the availability of applications in the marketplace, I have seen just a few good apps out of a lot of them. I'm sure in time just like apple's app store the quality will increase as new developer's jump on board.

-Chris

NXS
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd48 View Post
    How are these EDGE speeds? Can you download an app for example in a fairly reasonable time? I am dangerously close to pulling the trigger, and just relying mostly on wifi at home and at the office
    EDGE is downloading apps in no time at all. Browsing is obviously slower, but tolerable since most of the pages I visit are optimized for mobile. I'm on ATT in Boston.

NXS
    Quote Originally Posted by ploshayc View Post
    Put my AT&T sim in the n1, everything works. No 3G, no visual voicemail. MMS works just fine. I like being able to use a new phone without changing my contract! I have the iphone unlimited data/450 voice plan. on AT&T edge network i get 195.10 kbps in VA. Washington DC area.
    You can get visual voicemail if you use Google Voice for your mailbox. It will also transcribe and can send to email. I also like that I wont have to sign a new 2-year.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by NXS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ploshayc View Post
    You can get visual voicemail if you use Google Voice for your mailbox. It will also transcribe and can send to email. I also like that I wont have to sign a new 2-year.
    That's cool. You using the 15/month data plan? And how nice is the visual voicemail?

edit: installed google voice, playing with it now. Will post results.

So, you can use your number and it shows the messages like visual voicemail, it's free. It should work just fine vs the carrier voicemail.

I would Highly recommend turning off 3G if you have AT&T only, it saves power by not searching for a 3G signal which will never appear for AT&T.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links