ATT Edge Just Works?

This is a discussion on ATT Edge Just Works? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by davidlm Today I went in to one of the local AT&T stores (not an authorized retailer) and asked the kind gentleman if ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ATT Edge Just Works?

Quote Originally Posted by davidlm View Post
    Today I went in to one of the local AT&T stores (not an authorized retailer) and asked the kind gentleman if there was anything I could do about my plan to make it cheaper. He look around my phone (wasn't sure what he was doing) then finally asked me to show him how to get to my SIM settings (he wanted my IMEI, could've just asked in the first place). Anyways, I digress. He fiddled on the computer for a few more minutes then told me that he successfully changed my plan to the $15/month for unlimited data and was able to do so since the Nexus One wasn't in their system. I double checked with him that everything was set up and I have unlimited data and text and he said yes. I got an email from AT&T not too shortly after and it recommended I review my CSS (Cingular Service Summary) by clicking a provided URL. I clicked it. I reviewed it. They had successfully removed my data plan I had with my Blackberry Bold 9000 and it didn't/doesn't appear that I have any data plan at all now (needless to say my EDGE has been working). Soooo I'm going to have to go back in and straighten this out I think ...

Sidenote: My friend was with me who is thinking of making the switch from his iPhone 3GS (AT&T) to the Nexus One and asked if he got the phone if the same thing could be done to his plan and the guy said "it depends on who you get".
    Argh why does AT&T want to mess with us so bad. Please let me know how this comes out for you since I am thinking of doing the same thing. Have you checked your online account to see if the data plan is still selected?

They will switch you

My Girlfriend and I started using our Nexus One's on January 11 on AT&T. We had the unlimited family texting for thirty dollars a month. We added the unlimited data for 10/month per phone which is not bad considering you're using a smartphone. Well, the other day I got a text and email from AT&T saying that a smartphone data plan was required for my smartphone. I called AT&T and told them this is an unlocked phone and not one of theirs. The woman said they don't know what phone it is but it shows up as a smartphone therefore I have to pay 30/month for data.I immediately switched back to my piece of crap LG flip phone and put my Nexus One on eBay. I will not pay 30/month for data that will not support 3G. In the mean time my girlfriend seemed to be fine and it was still charging her 10/month. Next morning we get up and there you have it. They had gotten to her too. So hers will be going on eBay very shortly. If I were you I would not get the Nexus One until it is released for AT&T because 30/month for edge is not worth it. I am/was extremely pissed at AT&T for this, but I should of known it wouldn't have lasted. And one last thing, this seemed to happen after receiving that update from Google.

Why sell the phones instead of switching carriers? Especially if you are so mad at ATT.

Because...

Because T-mobile coverage is not in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by hall355 View Post
    My Girlfriend and I started using our Nexus One's on January 11 on AT&T. We had the unlimited family texting for thirty dollars a month. We added the unlimited data for 10/month per phone which is not bad considering you're using a smartphone. Well, the other day I got a text and email from AT&T saying that a smartphone data plan was required for my smartphone. I called AT&T and told them this is an unlocked phone and not one of theirs. The woman said they don't know what phone it is but it shows up as a smartphone therefore I have to pay 30/month for data.I immediately switched back to my piece of crap LG flip phone and put my Nexus One on eBay. I will not pay 30/month for data that will not support 3G. In the mean time my girlfriend seemed to be fine and it was still charging her 10/month. Next morning we get up and there you have it. They had gotten to her too. So hers will be going on eBay very shortly. If I were you I would not get the Nexus One until it is released for AT&T because 30/month for edge is not worth it. I am/was extremely pissed at AT&T for this, but I should of known it wouldn't have lasted. And one last thing, this seemed to happen after receiving that update from Google.
    This was my main fear and why I was reluctant to get the nexus one. Did you register the IMEI in their system or did they detect it automatically.

I had read that AT&T had obtained the IMEI's of the Nexus one. I had asked many times in many forums but everyone said that it was still working just fine for them. I purchased yesterday and now am seeing these reports on a couple diffrent forums. Has anyone tried not using data at all on their account? It is rediculous for AT&T to make us pay for 3g coverage on a phone that we cannot get 3g coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    Why sell the phones instead of switching carriers? Especially if you are so mad at ATT.
    Because T-mobile coverage is not in this area.
    This is my main reason as well. I am also under contract tell July so I may have to sell my phone as well and look for something diffrent. The main reason I got the nexus one is because I could recoop a decent amount of the cost by avoiding the data plan since I dont even need it.

Yeah

[quote=thunderfan;16496]
    This was my main fear and why I was reluctant to get the nexus one. Did you register the IMEI in their system or did they detect it automatically.

I had read that AT&T had obtained the IMEI's of the Nexus one. I had asked many times in many forums but everyone said that it was still working just fine for them. I purchased yesterday and now am seeing these reports on a couple diffrent forums. Has anyone tried not using data at all on their account? It is rediculous for AT&T to make us pay for 3g coverage on a phone that we cannot get 3g coverage.

Yeah, we just popped our sim cards in and started using the phones. We never called AT&T and gave the IMEI's. They must've obtained them and I just think it's bull**** to charge us that much. If yours is still brand new then you will probably be able to sell it for a little more on eBay. I have sold mine so far and lost about 50 dollars. Which I guess that's not too bad since I had it almost a month.

[quote=hall355;16501]
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderfan View Post

Yeah, we just popped our sim cards in and started using the phones. We never called AT&T and gave the IMEI's. They must've obtained them and I just think it's bull**** to charge us that much. If yours is still brand new then you will probably be able to sell it for a little more on eBay. I have sold mine so far and lost about 50 dollars. Which I guess that's not too bad since I had it almost a month.
    Yuck. I would like to try it out to see if I can get it working with no data but dont want to risk it if I would get more money for the unopened nexus one obvioulsy. AT&T is just finding another way to screw us.

Yuck. I would like to try it out to see if I can get it working with no data but dont want to risk it if I would get more money for the unopened nexus one obvioulsy. AT&T is just finding another way to screw us.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are. So you're not going to access the internet at all on your phone? It seems like a waste though. But to each his/her own. I can almost guarantee that they will charge you even if you don't use it because it's "required" those freaking bastards.

Yuck. I would like to try it out to see if I can get it working with no data but dont want to risk it if I would get more money for the unopened nexus one obvioulsy. AT&T is just finding another way to screw us.
    Yeah they are. So you're not going to access the internet at all on your phone? It seems like a waste though. But to each his/her own. I can almost guarantee that they will charge you even if you don't use it because it's "required" those freaking bastards.[/QUOTE]

I have access to wifi virtually everywhere I am. I never used the 3g on my iphone and just had it turned off since I literally never used it. I do access the edge network on times but could live without it. I work at a university which has wifi access all over campus. At home I dont even get 3g access and have wifi access anyways. I could easily live without it. I would like to have edge network and wouldnt mind paying $15 a month for it if they would let us but dont need it necessarily.

I have access to wifi virtually everywhere I am. I never used the 3g on my iphone and just had it turned off since I literally never used it. I do access the edge network on times but could live without it. I work at a university which has wifi access all over campus. At home I dont even get 3g access and have wifi access anyways. I could easily live without it. I would like to have edge network and wouldnt mind paying $15 a month for it if they would let us but dont need it necessarily.[/QUOTE]

Again, we were using it but then they said they added the 30/month plan. So beware. When you used only your iPhones wifi were you still charged a data plan?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links