Should I get it?

This is a discussion on Should I get it? within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I currently have a iPhone 3G, my contract is up in August and I have the cash to buy a Nexus One right now... So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get it?

Should I get it?

I currently have a iPhone 3G, my contract is up in August and I have the cash to buy a Nexus One right now... So my question is should I just buy an unlocked Nexus One and sell my iPhone on ebay or craigslist?

Did any of you guys do similar to what I want to do?
    Is going from iPhone to the Nexus One good/bad?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well I just bought the N1 outright. Have been using Virgin Mobile for a few years and was having so many problems with them. I spent quite a bit of time (a good 2 months) researching about the phones, the wireless companies etc etc.

The only phone my wife liked was one thru at&t.. and I did not want a Iphone (sorry but really never liked apple even back in the 80's). And the rest of what at&t had really didnt fit what i wanted. But the N1 did catch my eye.. and the idea of Google selling it rather than Wireless company was in a way thinking outside the box. Plus also I could use it with at&t or Tmo (I decided I wanted to stick with GSM rather than CDMA).

So far I love the phone. I can tailor it for how I want it. Also Gmail/Google is very very nice. Plus I can use my Nav on my N1 while my wife has one on hers.. it has to be done thru AT&T which they want a monthly charge for her nav.

Thats the nice thing about the N1.. Your not bound by AT&T, unlike with a Iphone you are bound by apple's and At&t's whim.

True that with the N1 you dont get 3G on it thru AT&T..but so far it is very fast on edge here in Las Vegas (I have it so the N1 wont search for a 3G signal which helps on the battery life). And with the backflip that just came out.. looking at what at&t did to that android phone.. I doubt that there really will be a N1 for AT&T since apple and google really dont like each other (Plus with the lawsuit apple is doing against HTC.. that can blow up in apples face if google gets behind htc).

Best thing to do is to just do some reading on what is out and what is comming out (Cnet, Engadget, BGR, Zdnet etc etc etc) and find what best fits your need. For me I would rather have a phone that I know I can switch companies whenever I want and not be tied down to one company.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post
    Well I just bought the N1 outright. Have been using Virgin Mobile for a few years and was having so many problems with them. I spent quite a bit of time (a good 2 months) researching about the phones, the wireless companies etc etc.

The only phone my wife liked was one thru at&t.. and I did not want a Iphone (sorry but really never liked apple even back in the 80's). And the rest of what at&t had really didnt fit what i wanted. But the N1 did catch my eye.. and the idea of Google selling it rather than Wireless company was in a way thinking outside the box. Plus also I could use it with at&t or Tmo (I decided I wanted to stick with GSM rather than CDMA).

So far I love the phone. I can tailor it for how I want it. Also Gmail/Google is very very nice. Plus I can use my Nav on my N1 while my wife has one on hers.. it has to be done thru AT&T which they want a monthly charge for her nav.

Thats the nice thing about the N1.. Your not bound by AT&T, unlike with a Iphone you are bound by apple's and At&t's whim.

True that with the N1 you dont get 3G on it thru AT&T..but so far it is very fast on edge here in Las Vegas (I have it so the N1 wont search for a 3G signal which helps on the battery life). And with the backflip that just came out.. looking at what at&t did to that android phone.. I doubt that there really will be a N1 for AT&T since apple and google really dont like each other (Plus with the lawsuit apple is doing against HTC.. that can blow up in apples face if google gets behind htc).

Best thing to do is to just do some reading on what is out and what is comming out (Cnet, Engadget, BGR, Zdnet etc etc etc) and find what best fits your need. For me I would rather have a phone that I know I can switch companies whenever I want and not be tied down to one company.
    Thank you for your input, I really like the N1 everything i've seen about it looks so good and gets me very excited The main thing that has me on the fence is the lack of 3G but honestly if I'm at home my iPhone barely uses 3G lol it's always jumping to edge.

Quote Originally Posted by DToX View Post
    I currently have a iPhone 3G, my contract is up in August and I have the cash to buy a Nexus One right now... So my question is should I just buy an unlocked Nexus One and sell my iPhone on ebay or craigslist?

I had an iPhone 3G as well, bought my nexus, sold the iPhone on eBay for $392, boom. $138 nexus one. I have no complaints about the phone on AT&T at all, the edge is blazing fast, probably just as your iphone's 3G due to the sheer speed of the nexus and how it handles the network.

You will not regret it. You may be a bit sad at first because the android marketplace is nowhere near as complex and bountiful as the iPhone's App Store, but all in all that's a very miniscule thing and the phone more than makes up for that.

I highly advise it.

Edit: And if you get it, you can scan my barcode, and it will automatically enter some text in an SMS ready to be sent to my phone How cool is that!!
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I dumped my iPhone 3GS for the MyTouch Fender (even trade - dumb on my part). Decided within a week that the Fender just wasn't what I wanted, so I set out to find a nexus one. Found a local seller through craigslist and we met in person and I bought the N1 for $450. I put the Fender up on ebay and the auction just ended this morning. Winning bidder - $510.

Enough about my story. I really thought I'd miss the iPhone and AT&T's 3G service. While there are times - mainly browsing - that I miss the faster speeds, the N1 really does a fantastic job with EDGE. Honestly, you'll hardly even notice you're on EDGE for the most part.

Love my N1 and Android SOOOO much more than the iPhone. There's so much you can do with it.

Good luck in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

I had an iPhone 3G as well, bought my nexus, sold the iPhone on eBay for $392, boom. $138 nexus one. I have no complaints about the phone on AT&T at all, the edge is blazing fast, probably just as your iphone's 3G due to the sheer speed of the nexus and how it handles the network.

You will not regret it. You may be a bit sad at first because the android marketplace is nowhere near as complex and bountiful as the iPhone's App Store, but all in all that's a very miniscule thing and the phone more than makes up for that.

I highly advise it.

Edit: And if you get it, you can scan my barcode, and it will automatically enter some text in an SMS ready to be sent to my phone How cool is that!!
    Thank you this is pretty much what I wanted to hear, I ordered the phone last night around 4AM and then my bank declined the charge (fraud) was their reasoning when I called them this morning, anyway they allowed the charge and the phone is already in the hands of fedex and it will be here tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by mdoades View Post
    I dumped my iPhone 3GS for the MyTouch Fender (even trade - dumb on my part). Decided within a week that the Fender just wasn't what I wanted, so I set out to find a nexus one. Found a local seller through craigslist and we met in person and I bought the N1 for $450. I put the Fender up on ebay and the auction just ended this morning. Winning bidder - $510.

Enough about my story. I really thought I'd miss the iPhone and AT&T's 3G service. While there are times - mainly browsing - that I miss the faster speeds, the N1 really does a fantastic job with EDGE. Honestly, you'll hardly even notice you're on EDGE for the most part.

Love my N1 and Android SOOOO much more than the iPhone. There's so much you can do with it.

Good luck in your decision.
    I'm really excited I plan to root it right when I get it so many cool features

I'm really excited I plan to root it right when I get it so many cool features
    Rooting is great, I highly advise that too I'm using Cyanogen's rom, overclocked to 1.13 and it's smooth as silk!
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Which ROM?

I've got a couple of easy to follow sources for rooting

Quote Originally Posted by Alexpeegs View Post
    Which ROM?

Cyanogenmod For Nexus One V5.0.4.1 (02/27/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

That's the rom I use. Then use SetCPU from the marketplace, with a little bit more tweaking you can overclock the CPU.
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexpeegs View Post
    Which ROM?

Cyanogenmod For Nexus One V5.0.4.1 (02/27/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

That's the rom I use. Then use SetCPU from the marketplace, with a little bit more tweaking you can overclock the CPU.
    cool, SetCPU is awesome cause you can overclock it for speed and then underclock it for when its locked thats a total win-win right there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links