ATT Nexus one question

This is a discussion on ATT Nexus one question within the AT&T forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; My ATT contract ended in june 2009 and I've always had a dumb phone with the data blocked. Now if I buy the N1 and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATT Nexus one question

Question ATT Nexus one question

My ATT contract ended in june 2009 and I've always had a dumb phone with the data blocked. Now if I buy the N1 and use the same ATT sim card, will they force me into data plan?
    I will not be needing the data plan at all.

I am asking this question because most of the people who bought N1 and being forced into data plan are people who are under contract whereas I am not. Does it make a difference if I am in a contract or out of contract with ATT?

Is there anyone in a similar situation being forced into a data plan?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

From what I have read around other forums is you will wind up paying the $30.00 for the data plan (it is based on the phone itself..since it is a smart/super phone).

There are a few N1 threads over at the At&t website (under general disscussion)).

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post
    From what I have read around other forums is you will wind up paying the $30.00 for the data plan (it is based on the phone itself..since it is a smart/super phone).

There are a few N1 threads over at the At&t website (under general disscussion)).
    Also, if you don't get the data plan, you will pay for it because the Nexus is constantly talking to the servers somehow. I've used over 500MB this month, and I'd say half of it is just the phone doing what it does. At $0.10 per KB or whatever it is, that's a $2,500 bill to look forward to
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rimmaculate View Post
    My ATT contract ended in june 2009 and I've always had a dumb phone with the data blocked. Now if I buy the N1 and use the same ATT sim card, will they force me into data plan?
    If data is blocked on your AT&T plan, you are ok.

But getting a Nexus One without a data plan is strange. Unless you really have complete WiFi coverage, you will not be happy. I am traveling in Asia and have my 3G data turned off. It really hurts. I spend a lot of time looking for an open Wifi. Of course, there are very few free WiFi connections in Asia. :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

Also, if you don't get the data plan, you will pay for it because the Nexus is constantly talking to the servers somehow. I've used over 500MB this month, and I'd say half of it is just the phone doing what it does. At $0.10 per KB or whatever it is, that's a $2,500 bill to look forward to
    damn!!!! $2500 bill wow!!!

You will have top use wifi to turn it on the first time
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

As I said, I have the data blocked in my account. I even tried shifting my sim to another dumb phone and tried using the data.I was not able to.Given that I will never be using the data, is there a chance that they might still force me into the data plan.I have wi-fi at home and office.these are the two places where i spend most of my time.So wi-fi is not a problem for me

As I said, I have the data blocked in my account. I even tried shifting my sim to another dumb phone and tried using the data.I was not able to.Given that I will never be using the data, is there a chance that they might still force me into the data plan.I have wi-fi at home and office.these are the two places where i spend most of my time.So wi-fi is not a problem for me
    no. you will not be forced into a data plan because you'll be buying the phone from google not att.
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny cizzle View Post

no. you will not be forced into a data plan because you'll be buying the phone from google not att.
    It used to be like that.Now it doesn't matter if you buy from google or not.They seem to have the N1 IMEI and forcing people into data plan.I am trying to identify if they could do that to me, given my situation.

I had an old smart phone that went south on me. I have always had a basic ATT 450 minute plan with the data option blocked. I bought an unlocked Nexus one, slapped in the sim card from my own phone and have been running great ever since. I have wifi at home, wifi at the courthouse and wifi at a variety of hot spots around town.

The only way I see you being out of luck is if for some reason you have to get back on a contract. Even then, I think all you would have to do is continue to have the data blocked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links