Help me decide - VZW or T-Mobile

This is a discussion on Help me decide - VZW or T-Mobile within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I need reasons to stay (or not stay) with VZW other than my "because I have a contract with them and can upgrade right now" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide - VZW or T-Mobile

Help me decide - VZW or T-Mobile

I need reasons to stay (or not stay) with VZW other than my "because I have a contract with them and can upgrade right now" ...I'm seriously considering moving to T-Mobile.

I only have to pay 75 bucks for early termination with VZW. (My contract is over in June)

VERIZON

Pros:
    - Better coverage
    - Stated to come with a "surprise"

Cons:
    - No release date
    - No news/announcement whatsoever other than speculation and rumors
    - Could come out in June for all we know (June is still spring)
    - Might have to pay more for subsidized version since I'm currently with VZW
    T-MOBILE

Pros:
    - $75 (VZW cancel fee) + $179 = Nexus One next day shipping
    - Cheaper rates than VZW(?)
    - Did I mention: $75 + $179 = Nexus One next day shipping

Cons:
    - Crappy coverage (supposedly)
    - My family will still be using VZW
    - No more "MyFaves"
    What do you think? Got anything to add?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

where do you live?
    be specific
    do you travel for work?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

I wonder what VZW's "surprise" is?

I am having the same problem as you. My VZW contract ends in June and I want to move from BlackBerry to the Nexus One. T-Mobile is the most appealing to me because they offer (on their other WiFi phones) the ability to make calls, SMS, etc... over WiFi if you pay a small fee for that service. That is an awesome service if you ask me, especially if you travel outside the USA. Plus the GSM networks can do Simultaneous Voice and Data. Verizon Wireless can't do that.

If VZW could at least offer simultaneous Voice and Data I wouldn't even think about leaving them. But their network can't even do that. I plan on using Data much more on the Nexus One and don't want to miss calls or have interruptions due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    where do you live?
    be specific
    do you travel for work?
    I live in Southern California (pretty urban area, Cathedral City), seems like data coverage is nice according to T-Mo's coverage map and I do not travel a lot. I do drive around California a lot, but it's to major cities like LA or Orange County.

T-Mobile also has a "buyer's remorse" thing where you can cancel your contract within 30 days (in CA) with no fees. But there does seem to be a fee to return the Nexus One.

Verizon has better coverage comparing data maps for both. T-mobile allows for talk and surf at the same time where Verizon doesn't. Nexus One is just an awesome phone. If you're willing to wait for Verizon sounds like it will meet your needs.

Wait? but for how long? That is what I am wondering....

T-Mobile is gonna be just fine for you! Verizon has the most coverage, but if you never use it whats the difference?
    Living in SD, LV and traveling around UT, AZ, CA, NV I've never had an issue with T-mo.
    If you don't wanna wait just swith, if you are unhappy just return, there is a small fee from Google, but if its a carrier issue you may be able to get it waved or something waiting for Verizon...
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010

1. Another thing not to forget is that T-mobile doesn't charge you for tethering currently. Whereas, if you get caught doing it on Verizon be ready to get hit with a Big Red fee bat.

2. GSM supposedly has better battery life than CDMA

3. T-mobile gives you 50 more anytime minutes and unlimited text messaging. VZW charges the hell out of text messages... $5 bucks for 250 messeges, $10 for 500, $20 for unlimited.

4. Also, if you're eligible for corporate discounts, VZW only discounts off of the basic rate (not data). Not sure about T-mobile, though I plan on calling and asking tomorrow. Sprint will take discounts off the entire bill.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilion View Post
    1. Another thing not to forget is that T-mobile doesn't charge you for tethering currently. Whereas, if you get caught doing it on Verizon be ready to get hit with a Big Red fee bat.

2. GSM supposedly has better battery life than CDMA

3. T-mobile gives you 50 more anytime minutes and unlimited text messaging. VZW charges the hell out of text messages... $5 bucks for 250 messeges, $10 for 500, $20 for unlimited.

4. Also, if you're eligible for corporate discounts, VZW only discounts off of the basic rate (not data). Not sure about T-mobile, though I plan on calling and asking tomorrow. Sprint will take discounts off the entire bill.
    correct. T-mobile is less expensive in almost all aspects due to the network limitation. However, for those of us that it doesn't matter......
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010

Quote Originally Posted by mightytalldude View Post
    Verizon has better coverage comparing data maps for both. T-mobile allows for talk and surf at the same time where Verizon doesn't. Nexus One is just an awesome phone. If you're willing to wait for Verizon sounds like it will meet your needs.

wow I didn't know you cant use both talk + web at the same time on VZW. Can you do this with at&t?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links