That's all, folks

This is a discussion on That's all, folks within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I guess this section oughtta be closed pretty soon... I'm kinda let down, but not really, because the Dinc is such a good phone. See ...

Thread: That's all, folks

That's all, folks

I guess this section oughtta be closed pretty soon...

I'm kinda let down, but not really, because the Dinc is such a good phone.

See y'all over at the Incredible forum.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Not for certain that the N1 for VZW is axed...its likely, but nothing official has been released stating specifically that the N1 will NOT be released for VZW. Im not holding my breath but hoping it will eventually come out or go to Sprint.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    Not for certain that the N1 for VZW is axed...its likely, but nothing official has been released stating specifically that the N1 will NOT be released for VZW. Im not holding my breath but hoping it will eventually come out or go to Sprint.
    That's what early reports indicated, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    We won't be selling a Nexus One with Verizon, and this is a reflection of the amazing innovation happening across the open Android ecosystem. Verizon Wireless customers who want an Android phone with the power of the Nexus One can get the Droid Incredible by HTC.
    He's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible! THIS IS AN EX-PHONE!

At least on Verizon. Chances are it will go to Sprint, but it really does not stack up well versus the Evo... honestly I think the Nexus Two will be 10 times better as far as hardware and distribution. This was just a Google experiment.

I agree...this phone was initially pegged as a development phone, something to get developers attention and draw them to Android (and it worked I think).

I dont understand why people think just becuase a phone with great specs is coming out (EVO and dinc) that a carrier will not release a phone with inferior specs...that is just simply not the case. Yeah the EVO and dinc are great spec'd phones and in ways better than the N1, but if that logic was true, every phone released on a provider would have to be better than the last which we all know is the not the case.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

It all comes down to how much effort the carrier has to put in to bring the N1 onto their network. I have no idea what it costs, but here's the basic reasoning:

(Cost to launch N1 / # of N1 owners * fees per month * life of N1 in months)

must be greater than 1. You're right that N1 doesn't really directly compete with their other handsets but that's not the main concern from the carrier's point of view.

From Google's POV, however, it's problematic that the N1 is no longer the top Android smartphone, because that means fewer people will want it, which means it's less likely that carriers will want to put in the work to support it... so the N1 can only go so far.

This isn't surprising, though, given the unique distribution model. And I think Google has seen the problems inherent in being a middleman between a manufacturer and a carrier.

However, the N1 (and, in a different way, Google Voice) are just their very first baby steps into the phone market. It's safe to say that they're working on something much bigger. Think about the cloud, and GV, and their broadband project... I feel like the N1 was a trial balloon and Google just wanted to see how long it took to pop.

Or maybe it really was just a proof-of-concept to make a very nice Android phone and Google just wants to get their OS and cloud software onto everyone else's handsets so that they can start sprinkling in ads.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    its officially dead according to engadgets update

Google updates Nexus One page, tells Verizon customers to get a Droid Incredible instead (update: the Verizon Nexus One is dead) -- Engadget

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links