Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

This is a discussion on Official Nexus One VERIZON thread! within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by E-man Originally Posted by leedaddy29 so hold on, im a little confused on what is going one here. Are you guys telling ...

Page 15 of 400 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

Quote Originally Posted by E-man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leedaddy29 View Post
    so hold on, im a little confused on what is going one here. Are you guys telling me that even though ive had my 2 year upgrade available for 2 months now and ive been holding out for the nexus one, its still goign to cost me a rediculous 500$
    No one is saying anything is definite. Those are only speculations. I have also been been waiting for two months after I was able to renew, just for the nexus one. It seems that both you and I are unwilling to pay $500+, as I am sure many other people are or arenít.

Why dont you guys just do what I am going to do. If this happens and we cant use our new every two I am just going to use it on a Droid or whatever else, then sell it on ebay. I think droids are like $50 with renewel and can be sold for much, much more on ebay. Just use that money to pay for your unlocked Nexus one!!

I have a strong suspicion that google will be selling the phone at a subsidized price. Verizon is a giant in the states as far as mobile markets go, and not many people are willing to pay $500+ for a new phone (even though some are). Google's normal business plan (or as much as I and the public can see) would pretty much require them to sell a laarge amount of these phones even at a subsidized price (with a commission from verizon wireless of course).

At this point all we can really do is wait unitl the 23rd. I would hope that they offer the phone for a discounted price but much like the 23rd release date I'm not holding my breath. Google and Verizon have done everything they could to sabotage themselves and I really don't give them enough credit to understand what their existing customers (and potential customers for google) want. They have continually tripped over their feet at the release of this product as well as the classic muffing of getting the Iphone instead of at&t ( they being VZW). If Google plans on charging me 500+ for their phone I will just get the Incredible. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

You can get a discounted price on the T-Mobile phone through Google. But the discount is through Google. I am expecting a very similar setup to T-Mobile's discount structure. New users get the big discount, existing users can get a discount, albeit smaller.

In any event, from a user's point of view, it may have been a trip-up that VZW did not get the iphone. But VZW does not care about their users' feelings beyond making them happy enough with the service they have to keep them. The only thing they care about is making money (which in the end is a good thing, if they aren't good at that, they won't survive). Look at the problems AT&T is still having with the iphone. And how much business are they getting from it versus the costs it puts on them? Is it worth it? Are they making a ton of money off of it? Is it bringing significantly more users to AT&T that might have gone elsewhere otherwise? I don't know in even the slightest, but I bet the iPhone is a very small slice of their business, but is a larger portion of the cost of their infrastructure. Now magnify that by about (pulling number from a**) 10 times and VZW probably saw it as more of a headache than anything else.

Same thing with Google. Look at the headaches they had with a relatively small rollout. Now imagine if they did it first with VZW. Ouch!

In my point of view, I think all the involved companies are doing exactly as planned for the most part, and getting what they expected.

I'm going to be extremely angry if I can't get the phone for under $300!!! I've already been waiting so damn long and I can't wait much longer. The Droid sitting in its unopened box on my office table is dieing to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    You can get a discounted price on the T-Mobile phone through Google. But the discount is through Google. I am expecting a very similar setup to T-Mobile's discount structure. New users get the big discount, existing users can get a discount, albeit smaller.

In any event, from a user's point of view, it may have been a trip-up that VZW did not get the iphone. But VZW does not care about their users' feelings beyond making them happy enough with the service they have to keep them. The only thing they care about is making money (which in the end is a good thing, if they aren't good at that, they won't survive). Look at the problems AT&T is still having with the iphone. And how much business are they getting from it versus the costs it puts on them? Is it worth it? Are they making a ton of money off of it? Is it bringing significantly more users to AT&T that might have gone elsewhere otherwise? I don't know in even the slightest, but I bet the iPhone is a very small slice of their business, but is a larger portion of the cost of their infrastructure. Now magnify that by about (pulling number from a**) 10 times and VZW probably saw it as more of a headache than anything else.

Same thing with Google. Look at the headaches they had with a relatively small rollout. Now imagine if they did it first with VZW. Ouch!

In my point of view, I think all the involved companies are doing exactly as planned for the most part, and getting what they expected.
    i don't quite agree with that. don't get me wrong. i'm not a ATT fan (i like apple products, but hate the iphone for a lot of things). but i bet the verizon ceo would love to have the network problems att have (if they had the iphone). that's a lot of money everymonth as far as data plan.

but i do hope vzw doesn't get the iphone because im afraid the network would suffer because of it.

come on nexus...or incredible. whichever comes first. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

i don't quite agree with that. don't get me wrong. i'm not a ATT fan (i like apple products, but hate the iphone for a lot of things). but i bet the verizon ceo would love to have the network problems att have (if they had the iphone). that's a lot of money everymonth as far as data plan.

but i do hope vzw doesn't get the iphone because im afraid the network would suffer because of it.

come on nexus...or incredible. whichever comes first. lol
    I disagree with both of you to some extent. I don't think Verizon was desperate for the iPhone. Put yourself in the position of company executives a couple years ago. Apple wants to make money, and the carrier wants to make money. Verizon knows they have a great network and large customer base, so they are not willing to make huge concessions to Apple to get exclusive rights to the phone. AT&T doesn't have the same reputation for a great network, or as large a customer base. They could benefit a lot from an exclusive agreement with Apple. For the most part, Apple just wants to go with the carrier that will maximize their profit, meaning (units sold) x (profit per unit).

Even if Apple could have sold more units with Verizon, I doubt they would have made as much per phone from the carrier. The WSJ reported a while back that AT&T pays Apple something like $500 for each new iPhone activation. With ~10 mil iPhones out there, Apple has so far made $5 bil from phone sales alone.

mach, do you think the rollout of the iPhone on Verizon would be so much worse than the Nexus One or Incredible? They are all very data-intensive phones. Maybe the iPhone would have higher impact just because more people would buy it... But if the N1 is adopted in huge numbers by VZW customers, I think the Verizon network could get clogged up too...

I do agree with you about Nexus One or Incredible, whichever comes first! My 2.5 year old Blackberry is falling apart (keys hard to press, trackball unresponsive)... Need something new!

Damn you APPLE!!! Hopefully I can order mine before anything happens... if anything happens...

Apple goes after Google's Nexus One in patent actions

Google backs HTC in Apple patent suit

Quote Originally Posted by KDII View Post
    Damn you APPLE!!! Hopefully I can order mine before anything happens... if anything happens...

I'm sure they'll come to some licensing agreement and if not litigation should take at least a year.

I'm sure they'll come to some licensing agreement and if not litigation should take at least a year.
    QFT with HTC being a Korean (I think?) based company Apple will have it's hands full pursuing this. That along with litigation taking up to a year, even if apple wins, HTC won't have to stop producing until Apple can get a cease and desist order. So unless the N1 takes that long to get to VZW things should work out for those who want it right away. On a side note, doesn't this seem like Apple reacting to the N1 and other HTC phones out of fear? Simply because Apple knows they have a highly competitive product(s) and can be had on any carrier?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links