Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

This is a discussion on Official Nexus One VERIZON thread! within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Originally Posted by willcraver This has probably been asked a thousand times but forgive me for asking again, but I just became interested in getting ...

Page 28 of 400 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

Quote Originally Posted by willcraver View Post
    This has probably been asked a thousand times but forgive me for asking again, but I just became interested in getting an unlocked phone when VRZ releases the N1. So, is it true that if I do get the unlocked N1, can I still use the phone without getting the data plan? I saw something on an ATT link that said that I could used "wifi" with the unlocked phone? Not sure I quite understand that. So I guess I'm asking will I save money but not at the price of losing certain services with VRZ. In the long run that $30 data fee adds up. I'm appreciate any insight on this "unlocked phone" matter. Thanks
    I'm pretty sure if you sign up with verizon for any type of smart phone they require you now to have a data plan. Also from what I've asked the employees I've heard that you have to get the unlimited data plan now (which is $30 per month). However if you bought the unlocked phone right now on google.com/phone you recieve a GSM (if I'm not mistaken has the SIM cards) phone which is unlocked. Without a sim card you can use it just on wi-fi, but that's all you could use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by kentoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by willcraver View Post
    This has probably been asked a thousand times but forgive me for asking again, but I just became interested in getting an unlocked phone when VRZ releases the N1. So, is it true that if I do get the unlocked N1, can I still use the phone without getting the data plan? I saw something on an ATT link that said that I could used "wifi" with the unlocked phone? Not sure I quite understand that. So I guess I'm asking will I save money but not at the price of losing certain services with VRZ. In the long run that $30 data fee adds up. I'm appreciate any insight on this "unlocked phone" matter. Thanks
    I'm pretty sure if you sign up with verizon for any type of smart phone they require you now to have a data plan. Also from what I've asked the employees I've heard that you have to get the unlimited data plan now (which is $30 per month). However if you bought the unlocked phone right now on google.com/phone you recieve a GSM (if I'm not mistaken has the SIM cards) phone which is unlocked. Without a sim card you can use it just on wi-fi, but that's all you could use it for.
    I agree. I believe you will be required to get a data plan from VZW even if the phone is unlocked. The main advantage of getting it unlocked is that you do not need to be stuck in a 2 year contract.

Although, it would be work asking a VZW employee how they handle plans for unlocked phones...if you dont tell them what phone it is and that you just want talk and text, they may give you just that.

But remember, the N1 is made to have a data plan. Ive read on here that some people are having problems when they arent using unlimited data plans. The phone is data hungry by nature, so I would still suggest getting the subsidized phone with a data plan (just my .02).
    Bought the AT&T N1.

To answer the question about unlocked phones/data plan more specifically. My understanding of "unlocked" is that you are not locked into a contract with any service provider. You still have to pay someone for phone service of course. The nexus will have two main ways of downloading data-through the phone network and through a wifi router. If you plan on being within range of wifi every time you want data you could theoretically go without a data plan. The second you go outside of wifi range your service provider would start charging you for downloading through their network though.

Quote Originally Posted by matty678 View Post
    To answer the question about unlocked phones/data plan more specifically. My understanding of "unlocked" is that you are not locked into a contract with any service provider. You still have to pay someone for phone service of course. The nexus will have two main ways of downloading data-through the phone network and through a wifi router. If you plan on being within range of wifi every time you want data you could theoretically go without a data plan. The second you go outside of wifi range your service provider would start charging you for downloading through their network though.
    But is it possible to get a plan for the N1 without getting the Data package?
    Bought the AT&T N1.

If you buy the phone unlocked you can get any kind of plan you want. So yes, it is possible. But it would be like buying the hotest gaming computer money can buy and only using it to run Excel.

If you buy the phone unlocked you can get any kind of plan you want. So yes, it is possible. But it would be like buying the hotest gaming computer money can buy and only using it to run Excel.
    haha, no I definately agree with you on that. Im just not clear on how plans work with Verizon on unlocked phones. I will be getting unlimited data for my N1, but its just good to know for future reference.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

Getting it without data is not a TERRIBLE idea... On my school's campus there is wifi literally everywhere. So I get wifi 99% of the time... but I do agree, when I'm off campus (one day a week?) it would still be worth it to get 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    Getting it without data is not a TERRIBLE idea... On my school's campus there is wifi literally everywhere. So I get wifi 99% of the time... but I do agree, when I'm off campus (one day a week?) it would still be worth it to get 3g.
    Yeah, if I was still at Purdue, it would be one thing. But since I am not out of College, its kind of necessary to get the data plan.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    Yeah, if I was still at Purdue, it would be one thing. But since I am not out of College, its kind of necessary to get the data plan.
    Thanks all for the quick replies on the advantages and disadvantages of buying an unlocked phone with VRZ. You guys (and gals) are great! I'm really learning a lot from everyone so thanks for being the cool people that you are.

If you buy the phone unlocked you can get any kind of plan you want. So yes, it is possible.
    100% Wrong, Verizon will not allow any Smartphone without a Data plan, Plain and Simple. Unlocked phone or not.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links