Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

This is a discussion on Official Nexus One VERIZON thread! within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Given Verizon's history, what features are going to be locked out and charged for in the N1? How would they block a user's ability to ...

Page 9 of 400 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nexus One VERIZON thread!

Given Verizon's history, what features are going to be locked out and charged for in the N1?

How would they block a user's ability to sync music with the phone?
    How would they block a user's ability to download music with the phone?
    Would they block a user from syncing their data with the phone, (contacts, etc.)?
    Will they have any control over what apps you can download onto the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    If the T-Mobile deal is any indication, don't expect to be able to use your new every 2 to get a discount on the N1. Assuming the sales arrangements go similar to what T-Mobile is doing, you buy the phone from Google, not Verizon. New customers get the big discount, existing customers get the shaft.

But even so, it turns out that in the long run, buying the phone outright with no contract is cheaper than getting the phone with a contract and the discount (on T-Mobile you save about $130 over the life of the contract).

Either way, you'll have to pay full phone price if you are mid-contract and want to stay in that contract.
    I'm a bit confused. I'm already eligible for an upgrade (2 years have passed). The new every 2 is just an extra $100 off. At verizon, every phone has a 1-year price, 2-year price, and a retail price. Will there be a 2-year price for google or will there just be a retail price?

That won't be clear till the terms are released, but from the T-Mobile forum
    UPDATED! Nexus One FAQ 01/13/2010 - T-Mobile Community:

You can choose to purchase the Nexus One from the Google Phone Webstore without service for $529 USD, or with a qualifying T-Mobile US service plan at a discounted price:

* Nexus One without service: $529
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for new customers: $179
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are adding data plans: $279
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are upgrading their data plans: $379

Please note, the Google Phone Webstore will automatically check your new or upgraded service plan eligibility if you choose to purchase your phone with service. If you have questions about your service plan eligibility, please contact T-Mobile for more information.

This information is found at http://www.google.com/support/nexusone/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=171784

The $379 price seems to have disappeared from the Google.com listing.

Basically, you are buying the phone from Google, NOT T-Mobile or Verizon; so Verizon perks may not apply when the Google sells versions for Verizon.

In the end, it's actually cheaper to pay full price and get the non-contract service for the T-Mobile option.

We may be seeing the new push of phones from Verizon as early as this Thursday, February 25. I got my hands on the pre production model of the Motorola Devour with moto blur and I am not that impressed. Its looking to be fat brother of T-Mobiles Moto Cliq. Cool stuff? Not so much. Im still not sure of the market they are going for.

All I know is that Google will piss off a LOT of VZW customers if they choose to only allow new customers a disounted price (it is the nation's #1 carrier). This was supposed to be VZW's Iphone and I for one will be very pissed if I cannot use my NE2 to purchase it. It's looking like I'll either be getting a Droid or Eris instead...

That won't be clear till the terms are released, but from the T-Mobile forum
    UPDATED! Nexus One FAQ 01/13/2010 - T-Mobile Community:

You can choose to purchase the Nexus One from the Google Phone Webstore without service for $529 USD, or with a qualifying T-Mobile US service plan at a discounted price:

* Nexus One without service: $529
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for new customers: $179
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are adding data plans: $279
    * Nexus One with new, 2-year T-Mobile US service plan for qualifying existing T-Mobile customers who are upgrading their data plans: $379

Please note, the Google Phone Webstore will automatically check your new or upgraded service plan eligibility if you choose to purchase your phone with service. If you have questions about your service plan eligibility, please contact T-Mobile for more information.

This information is found at http://www.google.com/support/nexusone/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=171784

The $379 price seems to have disappeared from the Google.com listing.

Basically, you are buying the phone from Google, NOT T-Mobile or Verizon; so Verizon perks may not apply when the Google sells versions for Verizon.

In the end, it's actually cheaper to pay full price and get the non-contract service for the T-Mobile option.
    So most likely, I will have to pay retail price for the Nexus One? It won't be the same price as all the other high end verizon phones? That would be stupid for Google because not many customers are willing to pay more than $500 for a phone then have to pay an extra $30 a month for data. If google sold it for less than $250, they would be able to have more users and they would probably make more money. Do you think that it will work with family plans? The Motorola Droid is only $199 with a 2 year extension and Verizon is also offering buy one get one free... Also, you can get the car mount, dock, and car charger for only $50 more. That means you can get 2 Droids, 2 car mounts, two docks, and two car chargers for $250 or 4 of everything for $500. Or, you can spend even more than $500 and get ONE Nexus One and then pay another $45 for a dock and another $X for a car mount. If Google sells the Nexus One for $199 or even $249, I think that many people (including me) will buy it instead of the Droid.

Has anyone been looking at the news recently??? Apparantly, the Nexus One's AMOLED Screen SUCKS... Kind of Dissappointing. I already have the DROID on hand so as soon as I see a release price of $300 or more, I'm gonna just forget about it. I hope Google reads this so that they know that they will get more customers if they release the phone for a cheaper price.

Until it is released for real, I can only go by what Google is offering for T-Mobile. Don't forget, it is Google selling this phone, not VZW. They are only doing business with VZW so customers can access VZW's network.

T-Mobile customers cannot get family plans directly, they have to get it added in a roundabout manner, but it is possible; but don't expect miracle pricing.

Don't forget, this is Google's first phone, and they are doing all the support etc. etc. for it, so it will take them time to build up the network and business structure to support this hardware. They are taking a big risk. Even Microsoft has failed a couple of times at this. Plus Google is trying to change the way the market works.

Google is well aware of what people will pay for the phone. They don't necessarily want infinite customers. It's all in the business case AS WELL AS what they are capable of supporting. Wouldn't go so well if lots of people had issues (which they will with a new phone) and couldn't get satisfactory support. This is probably one of the main reasons they started with T-Mobile, to limit their exposure. VZW will be a huge step for them.

There are plenty of people out there who will spend $530 for their phone. Especially if you consider the total cost of ownership. Look at the iPhone. Go to the T-Mobile forums and check things out there. Most people are recommending paying full price. I'm sorry that it doesn't work for you. It probably won't work for me for a while either. We'll see.

Locked up tight?

Given Verizon's history, what features are going to be locked out and charged for in the N1?

How would they block a user's ability to sync music with the phone?
    How would they block a user's ability to download music with the phone?
    Would they block a user from syncing their data with the phone, (contacts, etc.)?
    Will they have any control over what apps you can download onto the phone?
    Good questions FlyingsCool. I left VZW over those very issues (and gps/geolocation lockout) with the Samsung Omnia when it first came out. Great h/w back when it was new, but VZW had neutered it beyond usability. I returned+cancelled contract+4 page letter explaining it...certainly they never read the letter but I hope they missed my monthly payment/ransom. I do miss the voice reliability though.

So, if they leave N1 alone (eg full Android functionality and marketplace apps), I'll go back. Till then...

Until it is released for real, I can only go by what Google is offering for T-Mobile. Don't forget, it is Google selling this phone, not VZW. They are only doing business with VZW so customers can access VZW's network.

T-Mobile customers cannot get family plans directly, they have to get it added in a roundabout manner, but it is possible; but don't expect miracle pricing.

Don't forget, this is Google's first phone, and they are doing all the support etc. etc. for it, so it will take them time to build up the network and business structure to support this hardware. They are taking a big risk. Even Microsoft has failed a couple of times at this. Plus Google is trying to change the way the market works.

Google is well aware of what people will pay for the phone. They don't necessarily want infinite customers. It's all in the business case AS WELL AS what they are capable of supporting. Wouldn't go so well if lots of people had issues (which they will with a new phone) and couldn't get satisfactory support. This is probably one of the main reasons they started with T-Mobile, to limit their exposure. VZW will be a huge step for them.

There are plenty of people out there who will spend $530 for their phone. Especially if you consider the total cost of ownership. Look at the iPhone. Go to the T-Mobile forums and check things out there. Most people are recommending paying full price. I'm sorry that it doesn't work for you. It probably won't work for me for a while either. We'll see.
    Do you think the Nexus One is worth waiting for or should I just stick with the Motorola DROID? The Droid does have some impressive features including the dual LED flash and the higher resolution screen... I'm just hearing about so many problems with the Nexus One that I'm kinda afraid that I won't like it when I get it. For example, I've been hearing about issues that the 4 touch screen keys on the bottom of the screen are somewhat problematic but the DROID doesn't seem to have any problem. I just hate the keyboard on the DROID... It seems so cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by xsasha92x View Post

Do you think the Nexus One is worth waiting for or should I just stick with the Motorola DROID? The Droid does have some impressive features including the dual LED flash and the higher resolution screen... I'm just hearing about so many problems with the Nexus One that I'm kinda afraid that I won't like it when I get it. For example, I've been hearing about issues that the 4 touch screen keys on the bottom of the screen are somewhat problematic but the DROID doesn't seem to have any problem. I just hate the keyboard on the DROID... It seems so cheap!
    I think you'd be disappointed with the droid. That phone is a piece of crap, imho. That keyboard is useless and will just be taking up space. You really going to spend 200 bucks on a phone when practically half of its volume is wasted space? I didn't think the touch screen was very accurate either. Also, I think its underpowered, making everything choppy.

Page 9 of 400 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links