Will VZW lock out any functionality?

This is a discussion on Will VZW lock out any functionality? within the Verizon forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Given Verizon's history, what features are going to be locked out and charged for in the VZW N1? How would they block a user's ability ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will VZW lock out any functionality?

Will VZW lock out any functionality?

Given Verizon's history, what features are going to be locked out and charged for in the VZW N1?

How would they block a user's ability to sync music with the phone?
    How would they block a user's ability to download music with the phone?
    Would they block a user from syncing their data with the phone, (contacts, etc.)?
    Will they have any control over what apps you can download onto the phone?
    Will Bluetooth work as expected?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

as far as i know from the deal verizon made with google, verizon is not allowed to block any functionality on the android phones without prior approval from google

I wouldn't think so. Nothing happened to the Droid.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So Droid users have access to the free turn by turn GPS service for example, and full access to all bluetooth functionality (i.e. they can sync with their PC using Bluetooth)?

The question then becomes, does anyone know what functionality Verizon has gotten permission to block from Google?

Hmm...that is a good question. I dont know about other phones that VZW sells themselves, but I cannot imagine the N1 having any of its features blocked by VZW as its not sold or supported by them. The only interaction VZW has with the N1 is that they will provide service.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

The droid and the eris are not blocked and non of the blackberrys arew blocked. Kts been a while since vzw blocked any of the smart phones. Although adding vzws own apps on phones is still common.

I think Verizon finally got the message that customers considered their applications a burden, and realized that they were losing them because of it. I for one left Verizon when the iPhone hit because I didn't want my carrier to determine what I installed or used... and now I find myself coming back to them because my phone maker made the same mistake.

I don't think Verizon will lock anything out of the Nexus One. They've done too much work in forming such a strong bond with Google; even to the point of supporting Google Voice. Frankly, if Google Voice still works (and it does on the Droid), I doubt anything else will be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    I for one left Verizon when the iPhone hit because I didn't want my carrier to determine what I installed or used.
    The iPhone is the most locked down smartphone on the planet....IMHO

I'm seriously worried about Verizon locking out some of the functionality.
    This is the probably biggest reason why I want to switch carriers (along with the excruciating wait).

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I'm seriously worried about Verizon locking out some of the functionality.
    This is the probably biggest reason why I want to switch carriers (along with the excruciating wait).
    Why are you worried? The droid and droid eris wernt locked down and sold via vzw. The n1 is sold threw google and the vzw verison I'm 99% sure only threw google. Your worrying for no real reason.

Relax, take a chill pill and wait it out, play some mw2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links