Thinking of ditching my Nexus One...

This is a discussion on Thinking of ditching my Nexus One... within the Vidéotron forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi guys, I had a Nexus since a good 2-3 weeks now and I just signed on the forum. Nice to see "locals" on this ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching my Nexus One...

Unhappy Thinking of ditching my Nexus One...

Hi guys,

I had a Nexus since a good 2-3 weeks now and I just signed on the forum. Nice to see "locals" on this forum!

I'm starting to think about using that "30-day satisfaction" warranty thing and give my phone back to Videotron.

Here's why:

1. Their 3G coverage map is a fraud.

1a) I live on Ile-Perrot on the waterfront and I'm connecting on a "partner" Cell from the south shore although it should be Videotron even on the other side of the river.

1b) I travel a lot for work and been to Tremblant and Chateauguay recently and although it's clearly in the yellow Videotron area they advertise, I was stuck on the partner network.

1c) When calling Tech Support to inform them of the coverage sinkhole at home, I had to patiently waste 45 minutes on the line with someone going through a stupid protocol of "Have you tried reseting your phone? Ok, try removing the battery now..." bullsh*t before they took my case to engineering.

2) The touchscreen gets glitchy at least twice a day. (You probably experienced it: screens gets uncalibrated, you try to hit an icon and a softkey registers a hit...). This gets me mad for a 400$ worth piece of electronics.

3) I already have 1 completely burnt pixel and 3 other nearby that look sketchy.

4) My phone is not rooted and I only installed market apps. However, every 2 or 3 days something crashes on my phone or I get a pop-up sayin an app is unresponsive...

5) Earpiece volume is ridiculously low. Have trouble hearing people on the line when I'm in a shopping mall or a crowded cafeteria...

I hate Apple fanboys and Apple's control. I was happy there is an alternative and proud of getting a Nexus One at the beginning. But now, I'm wondering what am I paying again for? I let go a pretty good retention offer from Telus for an iPhone4...

I will try complaining at customer service about the coverage issue and maybe get some more data or minutes out of it because I sincerely think this is borderline illegal advertisement.

Can you guys talk me back in staying with Videotron?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There seem to be two problems with the Nexus from Videotron, the weak coverage as you say and the fact that it is not unlocked as it should be. A real Nexus is at 2.2 and will be going to 2.3 shortly. It seems that Videotron has taken a very good phone and added stuff to it so that it doesn't automatically update directly from Google. One person I know even said that he didn't need a Gmail account to start using the phone.

The probably haven't finished building their network, hence the problems you're having.
    Carrier lockin is bad to the bone. Get a real Nexus from someone and get a package from either Bell, Telus or Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoody View Post
    There seem to be two problems with the Nexus from Videotron, the weak coverage as you say and the fact that it is not unlocked as it should be. A real Nexus is at 2.2 and will be going to 2.3 shortly. It seems that Videotron has taken a very good phone and added stuff to it so that it doesn't automatically update directly from Google. One person I know even said that he didn't need a Gmail account to start using the phone.

The probably haven't finished building their network, hence the problems you're having.
    Carrier lockin is bad to the bone. Get a real Nexus from someone and get a package from either Bell, Telus or Rogers.

I have to agree. I bought my Nexus direct from Google in June, and haven't ANY problems (other than the loose part inside 'cause my GF dropped it in the first week. Yeah, good times.). I think your issues are with Vidéotron. Although I have all my services with them, I went with Bell for the 3G coverage and rarely have issues. My parents are in Chateauguay, and it's fine when I spend the weekend there. Either get your hands on a real unlocked and change carriers, or be patient and wait to get the Nexus S and either Vidéotron will be better, or go with another carrier...

Well I don't get why these guys are trying to push you away from your nexus one this is what I think of your situation.

1) Ok maybe Videotron’s coverage sucks but like the other guys said it's a new network they are probably not done building it up and if you want do like you said and get some free minutes or data out of it.

2) Twice a day is a little much maybe you got a lemon but to reset it just lock and unlock it (press the power button on the top of the phone) this seems to reset the phone and it takes like 3 seconds so it's not a big deal. But for that I would ask for another nexus not leave completely.

3) Once again I think you got a lemon

4) force closes happen sometimes it's just the way it is but every 2 or 3 days is a little much, once again lemon, are you starting to see a pattern.

5) By ear piece do you mean the include ear phones or a Bluetooth head set? If it's the ear phones ya they are not so great but get a new pair and you have a great new pair of ear phones.

See so in my opinion I think you got a lemon I would ask Videotron for an exchange I would even say go and demand it if you have to because these are not normal issues (well not as much as you say you are getting them). And as for the Videotron crapware they have installed I would just root once click method and get a standard ROM. I will say for sure that there is another member of this forum with a Videotron N1 and it works fine.

Hi,

I also have the videotron nexus one but I'm very happy with my phone to be honest. I live in west island and havent had any 3g issues although I dont use it very often other that the odd gps navigation.
    Call quality is good although a little low as you mentioned. The phone itself, I havent had any touchscreen problem or a single app force close on me and ive download alot of stuff including non market stuff.
    My only beef is battery life, I get 1 day with heavy use, 2 days moderate, but relatively speaking this is normal for a smartphone.

Anyway, I just recently passed 30days, so I hoping all stays well for me.
    The honest truth is that theyre all better deals on phones, desire Z at 0$, desire at 0$, galaxy at 0$ for a bit, but for 40$ its not possible to get a better plan price when you have other videotron services.

Nobody wants to be stuck with something expensive they dont want for 3 yrs, so I hope you find a solution.

Hi
    I have had the nexus one with videotron since the day they launch it and never had any problem but once i was in montreal and it connected to a partner network i called them right away and they said its because there network is new and it could happen to some.But like i said it only happened one time.By the way i am paying a little less then 40$/month with videotron for plan that would cost me more then 60$ with the other providers

P.S Do any of you guys know how to take the updates when they because available? thanks

no problemo with my new N1. My 1st one was a lemon. Since i got the new one, evethings fine..

replace it

I'm with AcidReflux on this one. I have no problems with the coverage, but the techincal glitches are driving me crazy. I've had the phone replaced three times, and still the screen necessitating a reset persists, force closes alot of apps (even when there is just the stock apps on the phone) and volume is sometimes impossible to adjust. Not to mention trying to listen to streaming apps when the screen is off is impossible.

Now, I'm not an Apple fan, I don't like their Fisher-Price computers.. But I had an iPhone 3G before switching over to the N1, and I never *ever* had *any* problems with it. As a tech, I'm sick and tired of dealing with everyone's computer problems. I just want a device which *works* with no qualms. I don't care for widgets/personalization. Icons are OK for me. Plus the variety of GOOD apps is impressive for the iPhone.

I can deal with restrictions. Technical problems on a device which should have none, I can't.

I don't want to root, that's not why I bought the phone. I wanted a device which wouldn't cause me grief. I'm getting grief :P Has anyone sucessfully been able to cancel their contract to go back to the "old" (ie : partner network) Videotron one? I want my iPhone back...

NB: I know I'm on a N1 forum, and I don't want to offend people who love this phone. It is lovely, and if everything worked, I wouldn't be here *****ing about it.. I figured this post might be helpful when someone is looking for info.

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Fulkrum View Post
    I'm with AcidReflux on this one. I have no problems with the coverage, but the techincal glitches are driving me crazy. I've had the phone replaced three times, and still the screen necessitating a reset persists, force closes alot of apps (even when there is just the stock apps on the phone) and volume is sometimes impossible to adjust. Not to mention trying to listen to streaming apps when the screen is off is impossible.

Now, I'm not an Apple fan, I don't like their Fisher-Price computers.. But I had an iPhone 3G before switching over to the N1, and I never *ever* had *any* problems with it. As a tech, I'm sick and tired of dealing with everyone's computer problems. I just want a device which *works* with no qualms. I don't care for widgets/personalization. Icons are OK for me. Plus the variety of GOOD apps is impressive for the iPhone.

I can deal with restrictions. Technical problems on a device which should have none, I can't.

I don't want to root, that's not why I bought the phone. I wanted a device which wouldn't cause me grief. I'm getting grief :P Has anyone sucessfully been able to cancel their contract to go back to the "old" (ie : partner network) Videotron one? I want my iPhone back...

NB: I know I'm on a N1 forum, and I don't want to offend people who love this phone. It is lovely, and if everything worked, I wouldn't be here *****ing about it.. I figured this post might be helpful when someone is looking for info.

Thanks..
    Maybe you should remove the videotron rom?

get rid of it and go buy an iphone.
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links