Rooting Gingerbread - Only by unlocking bootloader?

This is a discussion on Rooting Gingerbread - Only by unlocking bootloader? within the Vidéotron forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi, I would like to change the mod on my Nexus S (Gingerbread 2.3.3 (GRI54) I9020) for either the stock Gingerbread from Google or CyanogenMod ...

Thread: Rooting Gingerbread - Only by unlocking bootloader?

Rooting Gingerbread - Only by unlocking bootloader?

Hi,

I would like to change the mod on my Nexus S (Gingerbread 2.3.3 (GRI54) I9020) for either the stock Gingerbread from Google or CyanogenMod (I still have to decide so if you have comments on this, feel free to speak up). I am with Videotron so I have their custom mod right now. I would also like to backup their custom mod to restore it back if necessary. I did a lot of research on this forum and XDA but with Nexus One/S, FRG/GRI, Bootloader unlocking/SuperOneClick, etc, it gets a little bit confusing to determine what will work on one given phone. My questions/confirmations:

1- Will gravufo's tutorial work on my phone? My bet is a no.
    2- If SuperOneClick does not work on Gingerbread, is the only current alternative to unlock the bootloader (and loose warranty)?
    3- I have seen a utility called Superboot to root Gingerbread but it does not seem to be out for GRI54. Right?
    4- To backup my existing mod (Videotron custom), is the best way to go to use the clockworkmod recovery?

As you can see, I am looking for some sort of gravufo's tutorial but for the Nexus S GRI54 .

Cheers!

EDIT: Ok. I continued my reading. One question: Can I passimg to FRG33 on a Nexus S with GB 2.3.3, locked bootloader, not rooted? I read you can do it on Nexus One but is it possible on Nexus S? My goal would be to then root without unlocking bootloader and flash with pre-rooted GB or Cyanogen.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Unlike the Nexus One, you can relock the boot loader the same way you unlocked it, by using fastboot oem lock (instead of fastboot oem unlock). However, unlike the unlocking, the locking doesn't wipe your phone to factory defaults. Also, don't ever put a firmware for another device into the Nexus S.

As stated above, the bootloader can be relocked, which makes it kind of immune to warranty voiding. That is, unless there is a way for Videotron/Samsung/Google to know if someone tampered with the bootloader.

Other than that, my tutorial will NOT work at all, since it's a completely different phone.

Also, as also stated above, do NOT flash other ROMs meant for other devices, make sure it's for the Nexus S.

To help you out, you just have to unlock the bootloader (command should be fastboot oem unlock) and then you simply need to flash the new ROM you want to use (fastboot flash .... NAME OF FILE) and you're up. Google "fastboot commands" for help on the commands.

BTW, afaik, Videotron has NOT put a custom firmware in the Nexus S...are you SURE that you are on a Videotron-custom firmware?

Thank you very much daft and gravufo for your replies!

@gravufo:

No, I am not sure that I am on a Videotron-custom firmware. To be honest, I ASSUMED I was on one since that's what I've been told by the sales representive when I got it. When I look in the Phone Info, it looks like a standard google firmware version. So now I would guess that I am NOT on a Videotron-custom firmware. I guess it means that I do not need to worry about backing up my current ROM to restore it if necessary since the stock Gingerbread 2.3.3 would be exactly the same. Right? Because my concern with unlocking the bootloader was to loose warranty but also to erase and loose the current ROM.

I am being overly cautious but when you say I simply need to flash the new ROM I want after unlocking the bootloader, are you talking about any ROM in general, including recovery ROMs, or only about custom OS ROMs (Cyanogen, etc)? In other words, do you imply that I do not need to worry about flashing recovery ROMs such as Clockwork? Again, my bet is that you do not imply that but I just want to make sure. If there is a simpler way, I will certainly use it (I follow KISS).

Yeah you can google fastboot or simply type fastboot and you get the usage (of course).

Thanks again!

I would have to do more research on this before giving you any definite answer.

I am pretty sure there are still custom recoveries for the Nexus S though, but I don't think they are as critical as they are on the N1.

BTW, even IF the Videotron Nexus S have the "stock" ROM, I'd still HIGHLY suggest doing a NANDROID backup whether it is to make sure you have the exact same build and/or for ease of restore.

Also, it IS possible to go on with flashing without a custom recovery, but it kinda makes it harder imo and also less convenient, especially for nightlies.

What I mean by ROMs is OSs such as the stock Android or CyanogenMod or any other. BTW, I see no use of flashing a stock Android build right now, so if you want to go through the trouble, at least get yourself some nice ROM such as CyanogenMod 7 which I simply love

Sorry for not having a tutorial specifically for the Nexus S, but since I don't own one, I don't wanna write things that could end up messing up other people's phones or contracts :P

Thanks again. No need to be sorry for not having a tut for the Nexus S. You do what you can...

There is something I am missing though. If I want to do a NANDROID backup, I need a custom recovery like Clockwork, right? If so, to flash it, I need an unlocked bootloader, right? And if so, my phone gets wiped before I can do the NANDROID backup... Or, I am wrong and I do NOT need to unlock the bootloader to flash the Clockwork ROM or maybe I do NOT need Clockwork to do the NANDROID backup. Where am I wrong?

AFAIK, the Nexus S does NOT wipe your phone when you unlock the bootloader unlike the Nexus One. Make a research though just to make sure...

As for NANDROID backup, you DO need a custom recovery such as Amon_Ra (my preferred) or Clockworkmod. When you have that, the rest becomes pretty much straightforward.

From what I could read there:

How to Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S? [Tutorial] | Jaxov

it is not clear that unlocking the bootloader wipes all data but when you read some replies, it sounds like it does.

From what I could read there:

Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (GRI40) on Nexus S with Superboot | Jaxov

and there:

Nexus S: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

it appears that unlocking the bootloader wipes all data. And that there is no Superboot for GRI54 (my build). Do you think Superboot for GRI40 will work for GRI54? I guess this is risky to try?

So it sounds like you need to wipe all the data before you can do a NANDROID backup on a Nexus S, which is too bad. Of course, you can make NANDROID backups of your future ROM installs but not one of your original ROM. It looks like no technique has been found yet to root GB 2.3.3 without wiping all data. I guess someone will need to find a vulnerability in the GB 2.3.3 code before this is possible...

Am I right?

Now that Gingerbreak has been released, why don't you just wait for a Nexus S guide?

Ok. It was released a few hours ago. I did not know about it. Sounds promising...

Thanks.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links