UK 3G speed

This is a discussion on UK 3G speed within the Vodafone forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; I was in Erith kent last night, (working) at about 2am i was browsing on my nexus one and was surprised at the speed the ...

Thread: UK 3G speed

UK 3G speed

I was in Erith kent last night, (working) at about 2am i was browsing on my nexus one and was surprised at the speed the websites were loading.

I thought I`d check the speed. I have the SPEEDTEST.NET app and over about 30 minutes I ran 3 checks. I was amazed to see that the download speed was between 4-4.5 Mb/s and the upload was about 1.25 Mb/s.

I`ve never had more than about 1.5 Mb/s at best.
    Anyone else get these speeds around london or anywhere else in the UK.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I frequently get around 3.5Mbs in Liverpool using T-Mobile

I find that the speed is dependent as well on the time of day. at 2 in the morning, i usually find an increase in speed (although admittedly, not as much as that!).

I've also been quite impressed with the EDGE speed when i can't get 3G. it gives between 100-150Kbps download speeds, which is 2-3 times as fast as gprs. it's enough to comfortably browse the net without wanting to scream at it!

i dont know how to tell what speed i get lol but my phone settings says signal strength -101 dbm 5 asu,whatever that means

Vodafone are in the process of upgrading their network nationwide. There have been some periods and areas of dreadful 3G/HSPA performance. But improvements are said to be coming on-line.

I life about 200m from my local Vodafone 3G transmitter and back in October I was getting less than 1Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up. Just now I got 2.1Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up.

I have yet to ever find anywhere, even in the metropolis, where 7.2Mbps is realisable.

Vodafone are a long way off from offering the fastest 3G/HSPA speeds in the UK if their intentions are to offer 7.2Mbps to laptop users!

Today I am able to routinely get over 5Mbps downlink and 3Mbps uplink with the Three network. I have had as high as 12Mbps downlink from this same location. That is across their HSPA+ 21 transmission technology. This year Three are updating the HSPA+21 to HSPA+42, compatible user kit will be required to realise the higher speeds though.

So it is worrying, as a Vodafone user, to read that their aspirations are set so low.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links