Best UK Network for Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Best UK Network for Nexus One? within the Vodafone forums, part of the Android Phone Carriers category; Hi guys and gals. Just placed my order for the nexus one. Have my fingers crossed for a midweek arrival. However, now that i have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best UK Network for Nexus One?

Best UK Network for Nexus One?

Hi guys and gals.

Just placed my order for the nexus one. Have my fingers crossed for a midweek arrival. However, now that i have my nexus one coming i needed to decide what network to go on. Im currently on orange, but that contract is due to end in 7 days. So the network choice is completely open. Ive checked each networks 3G maps and for my location, strength appears the same. Although i have yet to find out speeds. Im not worried about deals at this momment, simply just what is going to be the best network. So my question is this;

As vodafone have the rights to sell the N1 in the UK come spring, is this going to be the best network for my N1?

Cheers!

James

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well I am on Vodafone and I have to say that the Nexus One does not hold onto a signal as well as my previous Nokia phones - I have noticed that the phone has no signal whatsoever in locations where previously my other phones have had a signal.

This is even the case in my office that has a weak 3G signal so I have bought Vodafone's Sure Signal which will hopefully overcome this by routing my mobile calls via our broadband connection.

I can't help with the other UK networks apart from the fact that I have been with Vodafone for 10 years plus and have been satisfied with their coverage to so far!

Thank you for the reply.

I had heard about people having spotty 3G coverage, but i hadnt heard anyone having genral signal issues. That seems strange. I have read a couple of forums that state that the 3 network works well with the N1. Certainly if you Google - 3G coverage maps UK. They are shown as having the widest coverage throughout the UK. But i do remember reading a while back, that vodafone offer the greatest speeds. hmmmmm, but i guess speed is nothing is you cant really connect to 3G.

I wonder what O2 and Orange have to offer, or even T-mobile.

nsm
    Hi. For my N1 I am on a O2 tariiff called simplicity with the unlimited web bolt on. Works out well for me in that it is only a 30 day rolling contract - and the 3G coverage (I work in London) os perfectly fine. I hardly ever have it on 3g anyways unless i need to do some quick surfing. When I was deciding it was between O2 and T-mobile, but they both offered pretty much the same deal. And as I was an iphone user (on o2) beforehand it was the easier option to change. I never had any issues with 3g coverage when on the iphone - so i figured it would be fine with the N1.

Thanks NSM,

Im starting to get a better idea of what to go for. Well ive got it down to three; In no order;

1)vodafone,
    2)orange
    3)o2

I do have a friend on the same deal as you for his iphone and hes happy with this speeds, coverage etc. But again hes based in London, so i think its hard to compare his coverage to mine. Im based just outside Newcastle, and from the coverage maps, my area is a bit hit and miss. The three options above seem to be the best, but they give no predicted speeds, so its hard to tell the winner.

If anyone is using the Nexus One on any of those networks, i would love to know how your finding it. Especially if you live up North.

I'm on Voda
    My advice is go with the best coverage for your area.
    based on people i know with o2/iphone that would be voda!
    also i am guessing later you will get better support from the network as they are going to sell the phone in the coming months.

stephen

Thanks Springlane.

That was my thinking too.

As for coverage, its had to tell of the 3G maps. O2 says i have high coverage, voda = very good and orange = good. But that really means nothing. If they cud giv u an estimated speed that would be much better.

My thinking last nite was, Orange have the best coverage over the UK,have good coverage in my area, but have really crap Sim Only contracts....no seriously, really bad.

O2 have the best Sim Only options, inc.unlimited internet (1GB), but not sure if ill need this. Coverage is ok in my area, but poor throughout the UK. Actually i wouldnt have to travel far before 3G was lost.

Voda is much the same as O2, altho has no unlimited internet, just 500MB. But they are the chosen carries by nexus, so that should stand for something.

So, still havent made up my mind................

Thumbs up for T-Mobile here in the North West. I've been a web and walk user for years with no problems.

I tell you you don't want three.
    i travel the uk for my job and have tried a three and O2 dongle.
    I now have a voda 3g dongle on contract, need i say more?

I still keep the o2 one PAYGO for one customer where o2 3g works and voda is gprs.

500mb means you have to adv 16-17mb per day every day !

stephen

Thanks Tribz and spinglane,

again, very helpful. Tribz im afraid Tmobile and VIrgin is a no go for me. Coverage is poor at best. And three also isnt worth a look in. Coverage is ok here, good for the majority of the UK. But standard single is suppose to be poor at best, and customers services is a no go. So im still stuck with my three previous options.

This will be my first time with an internet bundle on a phone and from what ive been told, 500MB should be more than enough, even if you use it for several hours a day. If htats the case, i think voda goes ahead of o2 and i think orange is out of the runnings as i have to pay 30 a month to get the same deal i can on o2 and voda for 20pm. Im guessing i wont be able to get my own personal deal on a sim only contract with orange, i.e. to get them to match voda sim only plans.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links