Lexar 32GB Class 10 Card

This is a discussion on Lexar 32GB Class 10 Card within the Xperia Play Accessories forums, part of the Sony Xperia Play category; Hey all. I'm just giving a heads up that I purchased the Lexar 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC card from Amazon yesterday and should get it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lexar 32GB Class 10 Card

Lexar 32GB Class 10 Card

Hey all.

I'm just giving a heads up that I purchased the Lexar 32GB Class 10 MicroSDHC card from Amazon yesterday and should get it today. Once I get it I'll put it through the paces and give you all a review to see how it runs on this phone.

Most of us are gamers that got this phone and I know the one thing that most people hate is load times and not enough space for games/music. My goal was to get the best card possible with the most amount of space and the fastest access times. I chose the Lexar over the only other Class 10 card for this size (Patriot) due to all the complaints people have been having with the Patriot card crashing. FYI Patriot even lists on their website not to use their card with Android phones.

I have been doing some tests already on the card that came with the phone and it seems it's only a class 2/4 but performs pretty well so I can't wait to get the new one and put it through it's paces.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

GamBoiye,

I have two questions for you:

1. Can you please post a link so we can see how much?
    2. Please describe the "tests" you performed to figure out that our original sim card is class 2/4?

UPDATE: So after using this card for awhile, it ended up failing. Thinking it was just a coincidence, I bought another one, also got a new phone. Now 3 months later this new one is also failing. These cards are pieces of trash. I've lost pictures and data because these cards just randomly fail.

I did buy a replacement card and it looks to be similar or even better:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SZ4X28/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I should have stuck with SanDisk in the first place as their cards are always known for their quality. Here's a quick screenshot of the performance of this card:

Name:  sandisk.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  34.8 KB

The reads on this card perform just as well as the Lexar class 10, despite being only class 6. The write is respectable, and some of them were even higher. Only performance drop you get from the SanDisk card is if you were copying large files from your computer to your phone, but even then the small percentage of performance drop is well worth the extra quality and other write speeds. Android will tend to write smaller files so having a boost to performance for small file writes is a plus.

The original card is class 2. If you take it out of the phone there is a 2 with a circle around it. Here's the card I bought: Lexar 32GB Class 10 Micro-SDHC

That being said, here's the test results for anyone who is interested. I tested from within Windows using the supplied card reader (which looks like trash yet surprisingly was about 5% faster than my multi-card reader) and also on the phone using a program called SD Tools.

Here's the original card:

SD Tools: Read/Write: 15.7mbs/5.3mbs

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Here's the Lexar card:

SD Tools: Read/Write: 22.7mbs/9.8mbs

So as you can see, the original card isn't that shabby. Even though it's rated at class 2 it performs closer to Class 6. On the other hand the Lexar card performs above the Class 10 standard with a card reader and even better read wise on the phone. This makes the effects of the increase in speed not as noticeable as they would have been if the original card performed at it's Class 2 rating.

As for how it performs with the new card, it's sometimes hard to tell. Only software that writes or reads to the card in large bulks is going to get the benefit. I did some soft testing and load times for Playstation games loads about 1-2 seconds faster and video and pictures seem more responsive in the gallery. Taking 5mp pictures seems just ever so slightly faster. Also taking video seems to be a little snappier. Loading games for any of the other emulators I have (SNES, NES, Genesis, GBA) seem identical but then again those already had sub-second loading times. Loading files over USB to the phone is much much faster; Windows was reading 11mbs during the transfer of about 7GB of data. The old card would only get up to 5mbs.

Probably the only way to really see how well both cards function is to have them in two phones side by side and video it. Unfortunately I'm not that rich to have two phones but I can say that I am happy with my purchase. The little bit of extra snappiness is welcome as is the better transfer speeds. Add in the fact I now have 32GB of space while still getting a speed up and this is one solid purchase for me. Most other 32GB cards are rated at Class 2 and if they actually ran at Class 2 I could only imagine how horribly slow it would make this phone.

WOW that was a GREAT write up!! You have convinced me, I'm going to buy one right now!!

Changed that, looked at the price and the reviews AND.....I think I'm going to wait a little while. I see Kensington is coming out with a 32GB Class 10 very soon.

GameBoiye, please keep us posted on the reliability of your card.

Just be aware that this isn't going to speed up the entire phone, only certain aspects of it. Of course that's better than buying a San Disk 32GB Class 2 card for $50-60 bucks and having it slow down the phone (though San Disk cards do tend to perform better than they are rated)

Also note that Patriot 32GB Class 10 cards are sold slightly less than the Lexar but are reported to have problems with Android phones if you do the research. Could be false but worth noting.

Furthermore, 32GB cards tend to have problem with low/under-voltaged kernels for any of you root savvy people. Might not bee the case with this phone but it's worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by gertman View Post
    WOW that was a GREAT write up!! You have convinced me, I'm going to buy one right now!!

Changed that, looked at the price and the reviews AND.....I think I'm going to wait a little while. I see Kensington is coming out with a 32GB Class 10 very soon.

GameBoiye, please keep us posted on the reliability of your card.
    Yeah I also saw a few of the negative reviews for this card but I can assure you, Lexar is a good company and this card definitely works with this phone good. There's way more positive reviews from folks who have them on other forums without problems.

Though I did not know Kensington was coming out with a class 10 card and that's good. I wish San Disk would, they're probably the best and most reliable. Though Lexar's not far behind.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    A class 6 is sufficient for most and can be had for about $60-$70

Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    A class 6 is sufficient for most and can be had for about $60-$70
    Exactly. Everything the phone normally does, even 720P video recording (if it did it) only needs up to class 6. Only speed freaks or people with extra money sitting around should ever think about class 10 cards.

Okay, so can anyone point me in the direction of a $60 to $70 class 6 32GB micro SD card?

Amazon.com: SanDisk Flash 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQM-032G, Black: Electronics

It says Class 4 (in the picture) but based on San Disk's reputation you should be able to get Class 6-8 speeds. No guarantee though.

FYI this is a bulk package meaning you will not get nice, retail packaging but who cares, you only see that for 5 seconds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links