Idiot's Guide: Force move Apps to SD

This is a discussion on Idiot's Guide: Force move Apps to SD within the Xperia Play FAQ forums, part of the Sony Xperia Play category; Without root there is a way to move SOME apps to your SD card freeing up valuable room on your Xperia Play. In this guide ...

Thread: Idiot's Guide: Force move Apps to SD

Cool Idiot's Guide: Force move Apps to SD

Without root there is a way to move SOME apps to your SD card freeing up valuable room on your Xperia Play. In this guide I will attempt to make a set-by-step comprehensive guide unlike other How To's I have found on-line:

Step 1. You need to install Java SE Development Kit found here: Java SE Development Kit 7u3 DownloadsDon't forget to accept the use agreement at the top and download which the correct version for the operating system you are using. It make take a little while to install.

Step 2. Download the Android SDK from this link: Android SDK | Android DevelopersNow I downloaded both Windows files but I think you really only need to download the .exe file and install.

Step 3. Open both programs that were just installed on your machine from the start menu:
    AVD Manager
    SDK Manager

Step 4. In the Android SDK Manager you need to check the box next to the "Android SDK Platform-tools" then click on the install button on the lower left.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Step 5. Note the path at the top of the Android SDK window that says the program location. Go to your window start then type in "cmd" at the search area in Windows 7 and Vista. For earlier Windows click on run and then type "cmd" a DOS window should pop up.

Step 6. You need to navigate to the path that you noted in the previous step where you Android SDK is installed.

Step 7. ON YOUR XPERIA PLAY: Go to settings - applications - development - then check the box for USB debugging. Connect your Xperia Play to your computer.

Step 8. To check and see if you are connect and in the correct location on your c: drive type in : <path-to-adb->/adb shell pm getInstallLocation

If you get a reply of say 0[Auto] than you are good.

This command is asking the phone what setting it is currently using for installation of programs; internal (phone memory) or SD card.

Step 9. Type in: <path-to-adb->/adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

This will change the default location for files to the SD card. You can ALSO go into your managing apps and now you can move many more apps to the SD card. This should really help you free up more internal memory depending on what apps you have installed.

I think I may have skipped a few steps and left out some trouble shooting possibilities. So PLEASE also refer to this post AND the VERY helpful comments at the bottom: http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives/2011/02/02/android-force-moving-apps-to-an-sd-card/

If anyone has any comments to help me make this How To guide more clear please let me know.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links